Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Writermorphosis Turns "One"



I just realized that it's been a year since I first set up this blog.

Being a techno-illiterate I had no clue what I was doing! And I was afraid that after the first 3 or 4 posts I'd have run out of things to say about the writing life. But now I realize that this was an irrational fear.
.
The more I hang out with all of you -- (my literary friends) at conferences, crit groups, and writerly events -- the more I learn from each of you, and the more experiences I've had. I've enjoyed getting to know some new folks through this blog and reading the comments of old friends.

I have been honored to have a number of writers who I've known only through their books stop by the blog - great writers like Kathleen Duey, Rick Yancey, Adam Rex, Jeffrey Deaver...

I've been delighted by my fellow writers who've shared their own work and thoughts here on the blog -- especially those brave souls who shared your page 123's a few weeks back.

And we've celebrated special events here - like the SCBWI conferences and schmoozes, the winning of awards, and the publication of books by various of my writing friends. We've had a contest - (The Harry Potter Dunk 21 Challenge). We've also highlighted special places like Powell's Books at the Portland airport, and discussed great YA/MG books - like the 2007 Cybils winners, and the "writermorphosis books of the month."

I also submitted my first novel to an agent over a year ago - celebrated that on this blog too. Alas, now I must celebrate that I got a form letter rejection from her 2 days ago -- just when I thought she'd forgotten all about me (and probably she had)! Ah well - one novel rejection down -- onward and upward. It's time to resubmit.

So thanks to all of you who continue to stop by from time to time to read this blog. It's been a fun ride, and I've been thrilled to have you all along on the journey with me.

Here's a toast to the upcoming year -- year number two on writermorphosis.

10 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

Happy Blogday to you! Happy Blog Day to you! Happy Blogday dear Writermorposhis, Happy Blogday to youuuuu!

We wish you many more . . .
Though your fingers are sore . . .
Keep typing away-ay . . .
You'll sell a book soon one day.

*\o/* happy dance for a great blogday! ;-)

Janelle said...

Christy, I'm dying laughing. What a beautiful song! : ) I love it!

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

Congrats on the year of blogging! Glad I found your blog.

All the best with the agent search! Your positive outlook will go a long way!

Bish Denham said...

Congratulations Janelle! Here's to many more years. And get that book out there!

kathleen duey said...

Happy Bloggy b-day, Janelle. May your writing fly...

Thanks for your comment on the medina in Fez. When you have time, hit my blog to see the key to the cage. It's so interesting to build fantasy cultures--writing anything is interesting. It never gets easy, so we are never bored. The perfect job...!?
take care,
k

kathleen duey said...

Rereading this...submit to a bunch of agents at once. If one takes your work--and once you have evaluated them and intend to sign, notify the others, to be courteous.

Some agents prefer exclusive submissions. I am not sure how long they think writers live, or what they recommend we eat while we build a career...

Janelle said...

That's great advice on agents, Kathleen. Thanks so much! You don't know how thrilled I am to have you stop by!

My eyes will be glued to your blog as Sacred Scars gets ready to hit the shelves.

Janelle said...

Joyce, Bish! Happy writing : )

ian sands said...

Wow, who is that hadsome devil sporting the green top hat and where can I get one?!! (the hat, not the guy)

Janelle said...

lol, Ian.